Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Earth911.org Makes Everyday Earth Day

Twitter

Earth911.org Makes Everyday Earth Day

Living Green can be difficult in a world of easy disposable products and hidden chemicals. Earth911.org “makes everyday Earth Day” by providing resources and ideas about how you can break free from environmentally hazardous products and use green options.

Browsing through the site I discovered that I apparently have a lot more household hazardous waste than just my lightbulbs and electronic devices. And they are lurking in my medicine cabinet.

I’m not an especially sick person. I hate going to the doctor because I’m convinced that I’ll need a shot or a bloodtest or they’ll find some other need for me to be poked with a long, shiny needle. But even with my careful avoidance, I have still managed to amass a collection of old prescription medications over the years.

My first inclination would be to toss the pills in the trash and recycle the container. But according to Earth911, that would be the wrong way to dispose of an old prescription.

Drugs should be disposed of by taking them to a collection event. Take back programs are periodically put on by pharmacies. You can find such an event by using Earth911’s recycling locator. Remember to remove labels from bottles so that you don’t accidentally give out personal information.

Earth911 is a great resource to find out how to safely and easily get rid of your household hazardous waste, from batteries to anything else.
www.weearth.com

No comments: